Skip to main content

Assessing moderation effects with a heterogeneous moderated regression analysis

• Published:
Quality & Quantity Aims and scope Submit manuscript

Abstract

Previous research has examined moderation effects with traditional analyses such as ANOVA, ANCOVA, moderated regression analysis (MRA), or a combination of MRA and subgroup analysis. However, there exists some confusion in such analyses, because the analyses do not separately consider two possible effects of a moderator on the form and strength of relationship between a focal predictor and a dependent variable. The effect on the form is measured with the interaction effect between the focal predictor and the moderator whereas the effect on the strength is measured with the effect of the moderator on predictability of the focal predictor on the dependent variable. This paper proposes a heterogeneous MRA that allows the moderation effect to be heterogeneous in the population, and shows that it allows one to examine the two possible moderation effects separately. Furthermore, this paper shows that previous research based on the traditional analyses might have incorrectly led to conclusions that there did not exist moderation effects even though the moderation effects were strongly supported by theories. The heterogeneous MRA can examine moderation effects with a data set collected for the traditional analyses. Thus, this paper recommends one to use the heterogeneous MRA together with the traditional analyses.

This is a preview of subscription content, log in via an institution to check access.

Access this article

Price excludes VAT (USA)
Tax calculation will be finalised during checkout.

Instant access to the full article PDF.

Institutional subscriptions

Fig. 1

Similar content being viewed by others

References

• Aguinis, H., Beaty, J.C., Boik, R.J., Pierce, C.A.: Effect size and power in assessing moderating effects of categorical variables using multiple regression: A 30-year review. J. Appl. Psychol. 90, 94–107 (2005)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Aguinis, H., Edwards, J.R., Bradley, K.J.: Improving our understanding of moderation and mediation in strategic management research. Organ. Res. Methods 20, 665–685 (2017)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Allison, D.B., Heshka, S., Pierson, R.N., Jr., Wang, J., Heymsfield, S.B.: The analysis and identification of homologizer/moderator variables when the moderator is continuous: An illustration with anthropometric data. Am. J. Hum. Biol. 4, 775–782 (1992)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Arnold, H.J.: Moderator variables: A Clarification of conceptual, analytic and psychometric issues. Organ. Behav. Hum. Perform. 29, 143–174 (1982)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Brambor, T., Clark, W.R., Matthew, G.: Understanding interaction models: Improving empirical analysis. Polit. Anal. 14, 63–82 (2006)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Breusch, T.S., Pagan, A.R.: A simple test for heteroscedasticity and random coefficient variation. Econometrica 47, 1287–1294 (1979)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Cohen, J., Cohen, P.: Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, N.J. (1975)

Google Scholar 

• Dawson, J.F.: Moderation in management research: What, why, when, and how. J. Bus. Psychol. 29, 1–19 (2014)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Friedrich, R.J.: In defense of multiplicative terms in multiple regression equations. Am. J. Polit. Sci. 26, 797–833 (1982)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Gardner, R.G., Harris, T.B., Li, N., Kirkman, B.L., Mathieu, J.E.: Understanding “it depends” in organizational research: A theory-based taxonomy, review, and future research agenda concerning interactive and quadratic relationships. Organ. Res. Methods 20, 610–638 (2017)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Ghiselli, E.E.: Moderating effects and differential reliability and validity. J. Appl. Psychol. 47, 81–86 (1963)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Hayes, A.F.: Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression based approach. The Guilford Press, New York (2013)

Google Scholar 

• Irwin, J.R., McClelland, G.H.: Misleading heuristics and moderated multiple regression models. J. Mark. Res. 38, 100–109 (2001)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Jaccard, J., Turrisi, R.: Interaction effects in multiple regression. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA (2003)

Book  Google Scholar 

• Johnson, C. D.: The population control variable or moderator variable in personnel research, In Tri-Service Conference on Selection Research. Washington, D. C.: Office of Naval Research, 125–134 (1960)

• Kam, C. D., Franzese, R. J.: Modeling and interpreting interactive hypotheses in regression analysis, University of Michigan Press (2007)

• Kmenta, J.: Elements of econometrics. Macmillan, New York (1971)

Google Scholar 

• Leppink, J.: Analysis of covariance (ANCOVA) vs. moderated regression (MODREG): Why the interaction matters. Health Professions Education, 4, 225–232 (2018)

• Moore, C. W., Petty, J. W., Palich, L. E., Longenecker, J. G.: Managing small business: An entrepreneurial emphasis. South-Western CENGAGE Learning, West Yorkshire (2008)

• Prescott, J.E.: Environments as moderators of the relationship between strategy and performance. Acad. Manag. J. 29, 329–346 (1986)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Rencher, A. C., Schaalje, G. B.: Linear models in statistics. John Wiley & Sons (2008)

• Sharma, S., Durand, R.M., Gur-Arie, O.: Identification and analysis of moderator variables. J. Mark. Res. 18, 291–300 (1981)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Shieh, G.: Detecting interaction effects in moderated multiple regression with continuous variables power and sample size considerations. Organ. Res. Methods 12, 510–528 (2009)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Smithson, M.: A simple statistic for comparing moderation of slopes and correlations. Front. Psychol. 3, 231 (2012)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Swart, M.P., Roodt, G.: Marketing segmentation variables as moderators in the prediction of business tourist retention. Serv. Bus. 9, 491–513 (2015)

Article  Google Scholar 

• Zedeck, S.: Problems with the use of moderator variables. Psychol. Bull. 76, 295–310 (1971)

Article  Google Scholar 

Download references

Author information

Authors and Affiliations

Authors

Corresponding author

Correspondence to Youjae Yi.

Additional information

Publisher's Note

Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.

Appendices

Appendix 1

Equation 1 is equivalent to:

$$Y=\alpha +{\beta }_{x}{x}_{F}+{\beta }_{x}\left(X-{x}_{F}\right)+{\beta }_{z}Z+{\beta }_{xz}~{x}_{F}Z+{\beta }_{xz}\left(X-{x}_{F}\right)Z+e,$$
(12)

where \({x}_{F}\) indicates a specific value of \(X\). Simplifying Eq. 12 leads to:

$$Y={\alpha }^{t}+{\beta }_{x}{X}^{t}+{\beta }_{z}^{t}Z+{\beta }_{xz}{X}^{t}Z+e,$$
(13)

where \({X}^{t}=X-{x}_{F}\), \({\alpha }^{t}=\alpha +{\beta }_{x}{x}_{F}\), and \({\beta }_{z}^{t}={\beta }_{z}+{\beta }_{xz}{x}_{F}\).

Thus, in Eq. 13, Z can be classified as the Pure Moderator if \({x}_{F}=-{\beta }_{z}/{\beta }_{xz}\) (implying \({\beta }_{z}^{t}=0\)) when \({\beta }_{xz}\ne 0\), whereas it can be classified as the Quasi-moderator if \({x}_{F}\ne -{\beta }_{z}/{\beta }_{xz}\) (implying \({\beta }_{z}^{t}\ne 0\)) when \({\beta }_{xz}\ne 0\).

Appendix 2

The variance of the error term in Eq. 6 is written as:

$$Var\left({e}_{i}\right)=\left[1+\left({\tau }_{xz}^{2}/{\sigma }^{2}\right){X}_{i}^{2}{Z}_{i}^{2}\right]{\sigma }^{2}={\sigma }^{2}+{\tau }_{xz}^{2}{X}_{i}^{2}{Z}_{i}^{2} \mathrm{~~for }~i=1, 2, \cdot \cdot \cdot , N.$$
(14)

Thus, it is possible to replace unknown squared errors \({e}_{i}^{2}\) with \({\widehat{e}}_{i}^{2}={\left({Y}_{i}-{\widehat{Y}}_{i}\right)}^{2}\) where:

\({e}_{i}={Y}_{i}-\left(\alpha +{\beta }_{x}{X}_{i}+{\beta }_{z}{Z}_{i}+{\beta }_{xz}{X}_{i}{Z}_{i}\right)\) for i = 1, 2, ···, N, and then regress \({\widehat{e}}_{i}^{2}\) in Eq. 14, i.e.:

$${\widehat{e}}_{i}^{2}={\sigma }^{2}+{\tau }_{xz}^{2}{X}_{i}^{2}{Z}_{i}^{2}+{u}_{i},$$
(15)

where \({\sigma }^{2}\ge 0\) and \({\tau }_{xz}^{2}\ge 0\), of which the coefficients (\({\sigma }^{2}\) and \({\tau }_{xz}^{2}\)) can be estimated by non-negative least squares. Eq. 15 is the auxiliary model of the HMRM, which is used to probe whether the error term satisfies the assumption of homoscedasticity in Breusch-Pagan test (Breusch and Pagan 1979).

If \({\widehat{\tau }}_{xz}^{2}=0\) in the recovered regression model, one can conclude that the third variable (Z) is Non-Homologizer because the variance of the error term does not depend on levels of Z. If \({\widehat{\tau }}_{xz}^{2}\ne 0\) in the recovered regression model, one can conclude that the third variable is Homologizer.

Appendix 3

With the estimates in Eq. 15, one can calculate the weight used in the WHMRM, which is written as:

$${\widehat{W}}_{i}=1+\left({\widehat{\tau }}_{xz}^{2}/{\widehat{\sigma }}^{2}\right){X}_{i}^{2}{Z}_{i}^{2} \mathrm{~~for }~i=1, 2, \cdot \cdot \cdot , N.$$
(16)

Then, one can estimate the WHMRM written as:

$${Y}_{i}^{t}=\alpha {H}_{i}+{\beta }_{x}{X}_{i}^{t}+{\beta }_{z}{Z}_{i}^{t}+{\beta }_{xz}{X}_{i}^{t}{Z}_{i}^{t}+{e}_{i}^{t} \mathrm{~~for }~i=1, 2, \cdot \cdot \cdot , N,$$
(17)

where \({Y}_{i}^{t}={Y}_{i}^{t}/\sqrt{{\widehat{W}}_{i}}\), \({H}_{i}=1/\sqrt{{\widehat{W}}_{i}}\), \({X}_{i}^{t}={X}_{i}/\sqrt{{\widehat{W}}_{i}}\), \({Z}_{i}^{t}={Z}_{i}/\sqrt{{\widehat{W}}_{i}}\), \({X}_{i}^{t}{Z}_{i}^{t}={X}_{i}{Z}_{i}/\sqrt{{\widehat{W}}_{i}}\) and \({e}_{i}^{t}={e}_{i}/\sqrt{{\widehat{W}}_{i}}\).

The WHMRM satisfies the assumption of homoscedasticity.

Rights and permissions

Reprints and permissions

About this article

Check for updates. Verify currency and authenticity via CrossMark

Cite this article

Park, SJ., Yi, Y. Assessing moderation effects with a heterogeneous moderated regression analysis. Qual Quant 57, 701–719 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-022-01383-z

Download citation

• Accepted:

• Published:

• Issue Date:

• DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-022-01383-z

Keywords

Navigation